In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful and Compassionate
- Perform salat al-tawba and intend by the journey Allah alone, asking Him for tawfique in helping one break from the bad of one’s past and receiving an opening for the good in one’s future.
- Three weeks before travelling, add 5 minutes of easy running to one’s regular exercise regimen, adding 1 minute each day until 3 days before travelling by when one peaks and all exercise ceases except brisk walking.
- To avoid blistering during the Umrah, begin breaking in a pair of sandals valid for Umrah.
- Memorize the duas of tawaf and sa’y.
- Take a photocopy of the Umrah section in the Reliance of the Traveller.
- Leave the laptop; bring the mudhakara.
During the Umrah
- Use a money belt and safety pins to secure one’s wraparound. Carry scissors, extra safety pins, and a little masking tape (wrapped around a small pencil, for instance).
- Always carry shoes, socks, and, if needed, an umbrella inside the Haram in a plastic bag.
- Catch taxis to Masjid Ayesha from the Western corner of the Dar al Tawhid Intercontinental Hotel. Vans are SR5 one way and taxis SR40-60 return. Allow 1 hour from pick-up to drop-off (assuming a brief stop at Masjid Ayesha).
- The best times for tawaf are between 9 am and 3 pm.
- Do not look at others with the eye of contempt. If one sees something that one cannot change by telling them, say the Salat al-Ibrahimiya intending by the word “ahl” (his Folk) the entire Ummah including the person doing the wrong.
- Do not look at members of the opposite sex for even a single glance.
- Recite the duas of tawaf and sa’y during every round.
- To avoid confusion, do a finger count after completing each round of tawaf or sa’y.
- After completing one’s final tawaf by crossing the green light opposite the black stone, turn right towards the balcony steps leading to Safa.
- Drink water before sa’y to maintain proper hydration.
- When necessary, use masking tape instead of bandages for minor cuts to avoid bandage residue from preventing water to reach one’s skin.
- Trim a little hair at the end of each of the first few Umrahs and shave the entire head on the final Umrah.
After the Umrah
- Eat some food in the 5 to 30 minutes following an Umrah to maximize glycogen storage.
- Back at the hotel, keep the feet elevated for at least 5 minutes on a table or against the wall.
- Take a nap each afternoon.
- Thank Allah.
- The best times for visiting the masjid of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) are between 8 am and 9 am and after midnight.